It’s already been 21 years since the matinee actor Rico Yan passed away, but his name is still being talked about often by netizens and showbiz columnists.
On July 6, actress Sabrina M claimed that she had a relationship with Rico, who many ladies had dreamed of during his time as an actor.
Even Rico’s ex-girlfriend Claudine Barretto has already joined the issue, mulling charges against Sabrina.
That’s why people who were observing the issue joked that Rico was still charming and that women were still arguing over him even if he’s already two decades expired.
But GenZ’s Rico’s name was still unfamiliar, so we prepared some short facts about the late matinee idol.
1. Rising Star: Rico Yan rose to fame in the late 1990s and early 2000s, becoming one of the most sought-after actors in the Philippines. He gained popularity through his roles in various teen-oriented films and television shows.
2. Rico was not only talented in the entertainment industry but was also academically accomplished. He graduated from the De La Salle University in Manila, Philippines, with a degree in Business Administration.
3. Many of Rico’s movies were box office hits, drawing large audiences to cinemas across the Philippines. His films, such as “Dahil Mahal na Mahal Kita” and “Got 2 Believe,” were well-received by both critics and viewers.
4. Aside from his success in films, Rico Yan was also a popular television personality. He became part of several TV shows, including “Gimik” and “ASAP,” a popular variety show in the Philippines.
5. He served as a Youth Ambassador for the Philippines Department of Education, Culture, and Sports. He actively promoted education and positive values among the youth.
6. Rico was in a high-profile relationship with fellow actress Claudine Barretto. Fans widely adored the couple, and they became known as one of the most beloved love teams in Philippine showbiz.
7. Rico Yan’s clean-cut image and wholesome personality made him a role model for many Filipino teenagers. He inspired young people with his achievements, charisma, and dedication to his craft.
8. He passed away on March 29, 2002, due to acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis while on vacation in Palawan, Philippines. His passing deeply saddened the Filipino entertainment industry. His passing became the most-talked topic in the Philippines that year.
9. Rico was also a businessman and used his degree to build several businesses, including Orbitz Pearl Shake.
10. Despite his short life, Rico Yan’s legacy lives on. He is remembered as a talented actor, a beloved celebrity, and an icon of his generation. His films and TV shows continue to be enjoyed by audiences, and his positive influence on Filipino youth remains enduring.
Rico’s personality might be the reason why some showbiz personalities were still admiring him even after two decades.
However, several netizens have already urged the celebrities to stop using Rico’s memory to gain publicity, especially Sabrina.